Another whirlwind romance that moved quickly to the engagement phase ended after five years of marriage. Katie Holmes filed for divorce from Tom Cruise in June 2012.
6/29/2012: It looks like the man of her dreams, who made her laugh, no longer fills that role. The five year marriage of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise has ended. People.com reported that Katiefiled for divorce.
Thomas Cruise Mapother IV: July 3, 1962 in Syracuse, New York.
Katherine Noelle Holmes: Katie was born two months premature at four pounds on December 18, 1978 in Toledo, Ohio.
First Date:Their first date reportedly was on his plane for a sushi dinner.
Engagement:On June 17, 2005, Tom proposed to Katie on the top of the Eiffel tower in Paris, France. Some sites say over a candlit dinner, and some say early in the morning. Tom gave Katie a large solitare diamond engagement ring.
Ages at Engagement:Tom, 42; Katie, 26.
11/18/2006: In a Scientololgy ceremony, Tom and Katie were married at Odescalchi Castle in Italy. They reportedly were previously legally married in Los Angeles, California at their Beverly Hills Mansion. Their official wedding date is unknown but is rumored to have taken place two weeks prior to their Italian wedding.
"A spokesman for the Church of Scientology for Rome, Fabrizio D'Agostino, said an exchange of vows with a Scientology rite was not legally recognized in Italy, and would have to be preceded or followed by a civil union."
- Official Date: Abt. November 2006. Actual date unknown, probably 2 weeks prior to Italian wedding.
- Official Location: Presumed to be at their Beverly Hills Mansion in Los Angeles, California.
- Witnesses: Kelly Preston, Leah Remini, Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith.
- Ages at Wedding: Tom, 44; Katie, 27.
- Ceremonial Date: November 18, 2006.
- Ceremonial Location: 15th-century Odescalchi Castleon the southern shore of Lake Bracciano in Italy. The $50,000 fee to use the Castle was waived.
At a Scientology wedding, the bridal couple makes a vow to not going "to sleep at night without having repaired any upset they may have had during the day."
In Scientology traditional ceremonies, brides are told that "young men are free and may 'forget' their promises." Grooms are reminded that "girls need clothes and food and tender happiness and frills, a pan, a comb, and perhaps a cat ..."
- Wedding Guests: 150 guests including: Martin and Kathy Holmes, Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez, Jada Pinkett Smith, Jenna Elfman, Leah Remini, Cameron Crowe, Paula Wagner, Brooke Shields, Chris Henchy, Jim Carrey, Jenny McCarthy, John Travolta, Kelly Preston, Steven Spielberg, Kate Capshaw, Victoria Beckham, Angelo Pagan, J.J. Abrams, and Will Smith.
Tom and Katie have one child. In February 2007 Katie said she wanted more children.
- Suri Cruise: Born in 2006. Suri weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and was 20 inches long at birth.
Tom has two adopted children with Nicole Kidman.
- Isabella Jane Kidman Cruise: Born in 1992.
- Connor Anthony Kidman Cruise: Born in 1995.
Education:Tom spent a year when he was 14 at a Catholic seminary.
Katie attended on all girls parochial school, Notre Dame Academy, in Toledo, Ohio. She also took a photography class at Columbia University in the summer of 2000.
After the birth of their daughter, Suri, Tom and Katie began living a secluded lifestyle in their Beverly Hills mansion. Tom restored an older home in Biltmore Forest in Asheville, North Carolina.
Katie previously lived ten months of the year in Wilmington, North Carolina. The couple also has an 8-bedroom home in Teulluride, Colorado.
Katie: Catholic, but studied Scientology. Katie continued to claim that she was not pressured to join the Church of Scientology, yet she had a "Scientologist chaperone", Jessica Rodriquez, with her constantly.
Hobbies and Interests:
Tom's hobbies include skydiving, scuba diving, and flying his Pitts Special S-2B stunt plane.
Katie: Engaged to Chris Klein from December, 2003 to March, 2005.
Katie enjoys running 3 to 4 miles several times a week. She says it clears her head.
Previous Marriages and Relationships:Tom: Two previous marriages.
- Mimi Rogers: Tom and Mimi were married from May 9, 1987 to February 4, 1990. The relationship ended in divorce.
- Nicole Kidman: Tom and Nicole were married from December 24, 1990 to August 8, 2001. The relationship ended in divorce.
Quotes About The Marriage of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes:
Katie: "He has been Tom Cruise for 30 years…I know who I am and where I am and where I want to go, so I want to focus on that."
Source: "Katie Holmes: Natural Woman." Elle.com. 8/2012.
Source: "Katie Holmes: Natural Woman." Elle.com. 8/2012.
Nina Callaway about Tom's control in the marriage: "Tom Cruise is famously controlling, and he's certainly been in charge of this wedding. Not only did he help choose Katie's wedding dress, but he's been on top of every detail from the menu to the gift bags. He's even said to have demanded that Katie go on a rigorous diet and fitness regimen to quickly lose her baby weight before the wedding. And of course, he's insisting that she change her name to Kate Cruise."
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Timeline6/29/2012: Katie filed for divorce.
11/18/2006: Tom and Katie had a ceremonial wedding at Odescalchi Castle in Italy.
11/2006: Actual date unknown. Katie and Tom official married in Los Angeles, California.
4/18/06: Tom and Katie welcomed their new daughter Suri into the world. Suri weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and was 20 inches long at birth.
12/01/05: Tom Cruise upset the medical community by his purchase pf a sonogram machine. He performed ultrasounds on Katie. The machine will be donated to a hospital after their baby is born.
A statement issued by the ACR warned Cruise and Holmes that use of the sonogram without a doctor's supervision could potentially harm their unborn baby.
The Food and Drug Administration has stated that by possessing the sonogram, Cruise may be violating the law.
11/05/05: Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise agreed to a prenuptial agreement.
10/05/05: Katie Holmes is pregnant. This will be the first baby for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes who became engaged in June. Information about when the baby is due were not revealed. Many wonder if Katie will agree to the Scientology guidelines for having a silent birth. It is rumored that Katie's parents are not too happy about the announcement since Tom and Katie are not yet married.
7/11/05: Katie Holmes continued to claim that she was not pressured to join the Church of Scientology, yet she had a "Scientologist chaperone", Jessica Rodriquez, with her constantly.
6/17/05: After a whirlwind romance that started in April, Tom Cruise proposed to Katie Holmes at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
More on Tom and Katie
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Wedding - Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Wedding D...
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and Baby TomKitten
- Celebrity Scientologists - Which Celebrities Are in Scientology and Sciento...
- This Week's List of Songs by Topic From The Green Book - Tom Cruise and...
- Keep Katie Quiet - The Tom Cruise Baby Game